Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, 25 August 2022: Celebrate International Dog Day (26th August 2022) this weekend with a pet-friendly weekend in the nature Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. From spectacular wadi walks and mountain hikes on Jebel Jais to chilled-out beachside cafs, desert adventures, and overnight stays, there are plenty of experiences on offer across the Emirates stunning landscapes of mountain, desert, and sea.
Beach lovers can enjoy the pristine white sandy beaches, most of which are open to dogs such asAl Jazeera and Flamingo beaches, offering up the ideal spot to spend the day snoozing under a beach umbrella, catching a frisbee, and splashing around in the water.
Inland, Wadi Shah and Wadi Shawka are ideal spots to hike with dogs offering up thrilling sights, sounds and smells for them to discover. Those looking for a more challenging experience can head to the trails on the UAEs highest peak, Jebel Jais, where owner and dog can hike the rocky terrain while taking in the stunning scenery. Alternatively, head to the UAEs largest open-air dog park, located at the Ras Al Khaimah Animal Welfare Center. With over 7000 square meters of landscaped areas for your pet to run free off-leash, the park also features a fully equipped Agility Park and dedicated doggy swimming pool for a refreshing doggie dip, as well as a caf area where dog owners can socialise while their dogs are playing.
After a morning of exploring, refuel at a variety of dog-friendly venues, including delicious Japanese Cuisine at Ruzo, which offers pet friendly outdoor seating area at Flamingo Beach. The Club House located within Al Hamra, also welcomes guests to bring along their dogs, as do its neighbouring dining venues Marina Muse, Tucano Coffee and Bread Barrel.
For an overnight adventure, RAK Glamping, covers ten acres of desert dunes with stunning views of the Hajjar Mountains, welcoming dogs of all sizes to join their humans and enjoy its traditional Arabic Bedouin Tents. In addition to this, there are a lot of hotels resort pet-friendly in the Emirate including Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Beach Resort, whose dog-friendly rooms offer direct access to a 500m-long private back beach area and a special Bone Appetit room service menu; BM Beach Resort with a dedicated block of 48 chalets for dogs and their owners as well as an outdoor and beach area; Banan Beach Resort with dedicated tents and lofts to welcome furry friends, as well as the pet-friendly Al Hamra Residences.
Here are some helpful tips to make your pet-friendly trip a success:
- Hot sand, rocky terrain and pavement can be painful on your pets sensitive paws. Stay away from these hot spots or alternate between hot surfaces and cold surfaces.
- Ensure your pet stays well hydrated! Bring extra water and a bowl for them to drink out of, making sure it is available to them at all times.
- Be careful not to over-exercise your pet. If you notice excessive panting, foaming at the mouth, or bright pink gums, ensure they lay down to rest and drink water immediately.
- Make sure shade is available. Whether it be a beach umbrella or underneath a shady tree, providing your pet with a place to cool off outside of the sunshine is very important. The hiking trails at Jebel Jais are equipped with dedicated shaded rest spots and water fountains for visitors comfort.
- Make sure you carry a fixed lead, dog harness, snacks, extra water and food, and clean up behind your pet, leaving nothing behind when hitting the trails.
- Remember to bring your dogs vaccination book if you are planning to stay overnight
The Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority (RAKTDA) was established in May 2011 under the government of Ras Al Khaimah. RAKTDA aims to develop the Emirates tourism infrastructure and establish Ras Al Khaimah as a world-class destination for leisure and business travel, creating sustainable investment opportunities and enhancing the quality of life for its residents. In order to achieve its goals, the Authority has a government mandate to license, regulate and monitor the Emirates tourism and hospitality industry.