As the General Manager of a hotel, your team looks to you, for answers, encouragement, guidance, ides and more. More often than not, I notice that the GMs mood dictates the team’s.
Here are 10 ideas to motivate your team!
1. Ensure the morning meeting starts on a positive note. Share a guest compliment, or an incident or even a team member mention. I know of one GM who starts the day clapping for the engineering department if the unit consumption is below budget for the previous day!
2. Visit one of your HODs in their office. Every day, pick one and go see him/her in his/her office. Sit on the opposite side of the table, and chat. Ask questions, listen and offer solutions only if they ask for it. Ensure you cover everyone in a fortnight.
3. Take an HOD on the property round with you. Share what you look for on an everyday basis. Ask them to tell you what they see, what more could be possible. You will be amazed how different the floors look to the Purchase Manager than they do to you.
4. Take up a team challenge every week. For e.g. Let’s make the process of issuing uniforms faster this week. Get everyone behind a common goal. It doesn’t matter who gets the credit, because no one gets it. In assure you, your HODs will soon be asking you to take up one of their departments tasks/pain point as project for the week.
5. Serve food in the cafeteria. Stand behind the counter, smile, serve. Remember you are a hotelier too!
6. Go to the room of a guest who just complained to the Guest Relations. Knock on the door, introduce yourself, and solve the problem. See how it brings vigor to the team.
7. Visit a client. Go to the clients office and praise your team. Don’t ask the client for how bad they are or what you can do, tell the client how good your team is and what they have been doing for the client. Be the Sales’ sales team.
8. Write a handwritten note to your team member’s spouse if one of your team stays back or is held up in the hotel for long. Let the family know, you value him/her.
9. Create a visual collage and let the entire team paste something on it. Don’t worry about a theme or anything. Let it have a place of pride in your office and let it be known that people can post a new thing to it anytime they want.
10. Appreciate. Learn to appreciate everyone and every little thing they do for you.
- Prabhjot Bedi
Prabhjot Bedi is an Ideator. Write to him for an idea or a discussion on anything under the sun!
I am looking forward to working with Hotel General Managers for any projects / ideas/ problems.